Firewall client exceptions

  • From: "Ted D" <tdoholis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:36:13 -0600

Hi everyone

I have about 300 clients with all running the FWC. The engineering dept
has a special app that makes use of the hosts file to contact a server for
some information about the app and if it cant then the app doesnt start.

They also use FTP quite a bit so the FWC is a godsend to simplify the
issue.

The problem is that the FWC remotes all the traffic including that from
the special app and thus never sees the hosts file. I though about hosting
a DNS zone but that causes other issues.

My question is how can I tell the FWC to not remote the traffic from this
app? or does anyone have another suggestion?

I dont really want to tell them to disable it when they use the app then
re-enable it. Further, I will eventually hide the icon while connected so
they cant mess with it.

Thanks