RE: Firewall Policy Rules Order

  • From: "Paul Deen" <pdeen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:55:15 -0500

I am no expert at ISA 2004, so I want to make sure I understand this.

So are you saying that if I have any 'User-based' rules BEFORE any of my
'Anonymous' rules the traffic will be blocked regardless of protocol?

Now that I hear/see this, this makes a huge difference!

The way I thought of it was as the traffic comes in, it looks in order
(top down) for a rule that -specifically- allows or denies that protocol
specified only. Then I set my last rule to 'Deny All'.

What happens if I 'require authentication' for all users on the internal
interface itself instead of requiring authentication only on individual
rules? Would my SMTP traffic stop flowing out?

Like I said, I am still new at this.

Environment: ISA 2004 using an 'Edge Firewall' configuration, Published
Internal SMTP server, Mixed: Web Proxy (laptops) and Firewall clients
(workstations).

Thanks for your insight,
Paul