Re: Firewall Comparisons

  • From: "Ray Dzek" <rdzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:16:48 -0700

I'm not a firewall engineer, but I play one at my company.  I don't know all
the in's and out's of firewalls.  But I do know I read everything I can
about what vulnerabilities and hacks are out there.  And this much I do
know...  Any properly configured and monitored firewall can be a great
firewall.  But if you just turn thing on, and shove it in a closet, you are
asking for trouble.  Every firewall product has it's quirks, and issues to
deal with.  Every firewall product has it's own set of vulnerabilities.
What is not a vulnerability today, might be tomorrow.  I use ISA and Cisco
PIX.  I love and hate each of them equally.