[isalist] Failing PCI Compliance tests

  • From: "Mike Anderson" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 06:46:27 -0600

Hello All,

We have Win2K3 web server behind an ISA 2004 Server, which hosts our
website (with a SSL Certificate for doing credit card transactions).

As of 3 months ago, we started getting these warning e-mails from our
credit card merchant people stating that we failed their PCI Compliance
test.  If we don't get this fixed, we will start to be penalized and we
can't let that happen.

SSL Certs are probably one of my weakest areas and I just know enough to
get by.  The PDF generated from their automated system, outlined the
trouble areas and offered some websites we could visit that could help
remedy the problem.  I must say, being a technical person myself, I had
a hard time navigating the documents in addition to understanding how
they applied to our problem.

The next 2 blocks of text are the 2 primary areas that killed our PCI
Compliance score, and if we can fix this, we should be okay once again.
BTW, the following blocks of text, correspond to TCP, Port 443 &
HTTPS...

The first one:

Synopsis : The remote service supports the use of weak SSL ciphers.
Description : The remote

host supports the use of SSL ciphers that offer either weak encryption
or no encryption at all.

See also : http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/ciphers.html Solution:
Reconfigure the affected

application if possible to avoid use of weak ciphers. Risk Factor:
Medium / CVSS Base Score

: 5.0 (CVSS2#AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N) Plugin output : Here is the
list of weak SSL ciphers

supported by the remote server : Low Strength Ciphers...

The second one:

Synopsis : The remote service encrypts traffic using a protocol with
known weaknesses.

Description : The remote service accepts connections encrypted using SSL
2.0, which

reportedly suffers from several cryptographic flaws and has been
deprecated for several years.

An attacker may be able to exploit these issues to conduct
man-in-the-middle attacks or

decrypt communications between the affected service and clients. See
also :

http://www.schneier.com/paper-ssl.pdf Solution: Consult the
application's documentation to

disable SSL 2.0 and use SSL 3.0 or TLS 1.0 instead. Risk Factor: Medium
/ CVSS Base Score

: 2 (AV:R/AC:L/Au:NR/C:P/A:N/I:N/B:N)

Now my question is, does the ISA Server come into play with this whole
thing?  Or is the primary problem relating to our Web Server and how the
SSL Cert was originally created?  I didn't create the initial key and
purchase the original certificate, but I know darn sure that the person
who did, would have selected the strongest encryption available at the
time - which would have given us the peace of mind secure transactions.

I know that in order to get the SSL to pass through the ISA Server, we
had to export the SSL Cert from the Web Server and install it on the ISA
Server.  Was there something different that I should have done during
that process?  Do we possibly have to trash our existing SSL Cert, and
reapply for a newer strong one?

Again, I apologize for being so green in this area - I can only be good
at so many things J

Thank you all again in advance, for all your wonderful help.

Mike