FYI - Current 'discussion' on another list about Firewalls - any comments?

  • From: "Spencer Read (Nemesis)" <ser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:33:34 +0100

Original Thread

> I know this is a frequently asked question, but as we're a smaller
shop than most, I just thought I'd ask this specific question:

> Our Netscreen 10 firewall has been really good, but it's been End of
Lifed. My vendor is trying to sell me on a new Netscreen 5GT to replace
it. We have only about 20 users nowadays but I want > to be sure I'm
getting a darned good firewall as security is still important to us. I
tend to like Netscreen but want to be sure I'm not being penny wise and
pound foolish.

> Anyone have any feelings on whether the 5GT is lacking any really
important features that we'd need from a firewall?

First Reply

> Yeah.  It's not ISA.    ;-)

Second Reply

> I think that I would give up touching any computer for the rest of my
life before I used ISA as my firewall.

Another Reply
> ISA, get real, that is a software ploy of a firewall, easly
circumvented.
> Usually used in hotels to try and keep security tight, it doesnt do
all that well tho. If you want a real Firewall, get Checkpoint...

...Spence ;)