[isalist] FWClient DNS Issue

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:24:14 -0500

Interesting problem here, thought I'd ask you guys about it first...

I am working on replacing my Domain Controllers with Server 2008 R2.  Recently,
I pointed all the DNS servers to the new R2 servers instead of the 2008 SP2
servers.  Now the Firewall Client will not automatically detect the ISA server.

I traced it back to the wpad DNS entry.  In the DNS server, the wspad and wpad
entries are Aliases (CNAME) for the ISA server.  When I do an nslookup from a
workstation, I can resolve the wspad entry, but not the wpad entry (cannot
find, non-existent domain).    I can delete the Aliases from the server, and
watch them replicate between the different servers, so I know the settings are
working.    When I launch the nslookup console, I cannot resolve wpad from the
R2 servers, but if I attach to the SP2 server it resolves it correctly.

Any ideas why Server 2008 R2 will selectively choose which DNS aliases to
ignore?

Dan Ball
Network and Systems Technician
Marquette Area Public Schools