[isalist] Re: FW: Layer 3 and Firewall

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:44:26 -0700

Go check out the IEEE papers on 802.1Q and decide for yourself.
At no time is this mechanism discussed as a network security mechanism,
although security ramifications and limitations are touched on.

As Tom points out, this is a logical; not a physical separation mechanism.
If you take "logical isolation" as a security mechanism, then you must also
believe that your employee agreements protect your company from the "wild
admin" factor.

I see large, flightless birds in this discussion...

   MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
   http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
   http://isatools.org
   Read the help / books / articles!