FTP access problem with IE5.5

  • From: ram.reddy@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:53:20 +0800

Hi All,

I guess this problem is not new to this list but not sure if some one has
already published any solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We had problems downloading files from specific websites like www.HP.com,
www.IBM.com. Some one in this list suggested that this could be a problem
realted to IE5.5. In my case i have 3 ISA servers with two connections to
the internet, like ISA-1 & ISA-2 pointing to IC1(ISP1) and ISA-3 pointing
to IC2 (ISP2). Using the same IE5.5, i can succesfully download files from
the above web sites by switching to ISA-1 or ISA-2 but cannot download from
ISA-3. This problem began ever since we upgraded all our client browsers to
IE5.5 (SP2 to be specific). One work around i got for this is to, open the
folder where the file exists by replacing http:// prefix to ftp:// in the
browser and then copy it to a folder. Unfortunately this is not something
that i can train thousands of my users here. I have also tried using the
firewall client, upgrading IE5.5 to IE6 etc. Is this IE5.5 problem in
specific to Internet connection? Iam planning to reroute the ISA-3 traffic
to IC1 and see if i can download files from those web sites but thats a
heavy traffic. I dont have any problem downloading files from http tunneled
ftp sites. The two Internet Connections are being gaurded by Checkpoint,
and i can see the target sites doing a reverse DNS lookup and ofcourse they
are being dropped at both the sites. I also heard that, some FTP sites will
not allow the transfer if they cannot do a reverse lookup but how come iam
able to download thru IC1?

Thanks in advance..

Brds
Ram Reddy