FTP Response Time

  • From: <cpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:33:58 -0400

I have a single FTP Server published behind an ISA 2K SP1 firewall.  This
server is published using Server Publishing (that just sounds strange).

When I connect to it through a client like WSFTP, and attempt to upload or
download multiple files, there is a long pause between every action.  It
appears to be as much as 30-60 seconds sometimes.  If I connect via VPN and go
straight to the Server, the Delay is gone.

What is causing this delay? Is it possibly some sort of reverse DNS lookup on
the FTP server itself?  Or is it a problem on the firewall?

If anyone has had similar problems, I could use a hand here.  When it takes 15
minutes to transfer 20 files between 1 and 3 k..... well that's just ridiculous.

Chris Patterson