[isalist] Re: FTP Delete

  • From: "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:06:12 +1000

From what i've read on this stream, this is probably not the case, but since it
seems to be getting to 'Let's try any God Dammed thing" point, I'll throw this
in.

About 18 months ago, we had a similar issue, users could FTP stuff up to the
server, drag it back but no matter what we tried, under any username /
password, deletes would only work from a single PC.

After looking for weeks, and the company hosting the UNIX/FTP server denying
all knowledge of anything, it turned out that the guy who admistered the UNIX
box hosting the FTP server, had allowed  delete to occur only if originating
from a specific workstation, this was the workstation of the person who had
originally signed the hosting agreement  To this day we are not sure how he got
the wworkstation name, but some how he did, and put this into a allow delete
restriction on the FTP server.

We had them remove that restriction, and everything was back to normal.