[isalist] Re: Extremely slow connection to Fedex.com

  • From: "John T \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:08:21 -0800

OK, first a clarification on the captures. In both FF and IE, first went to
fedex.com and waited for page to load fully. Then typed in a dummy tracking
number consisting of a bunch of ones and then clicked on track. As such, the
tracking number requested may not have been the same for both, but either
way fedex.com will return a invalid tracking number message.

As for FF stopping short of where IE stopped, I think that is reversed. I
had waited for FF to completely finish and then stopped the capture. When IE
finally displayed the tracking number information, I did not notice it was
still waiting for items and had stopped the capture. When I stopped the
capture, I then noticed it still said 6 items waiting to load. I thought
about and decided against going back and starting over to create a new
capture.

Now for the testing results after changing to user HTTP 1.1 through proxy.
(Was not checked.)

I checked the box for HTTP 1.1 through proxy, cleared the cache, closed all
IE browsers and tried again. At first, no change. Then I spent time going
through all the settings of IE and FF (since I know nothing about FF) and
could not find where in FF to change the cache settings to every visit of
the page, the same way I have IE set. (To solve other problems a few years
ago.) So I changed in IE cache settings from every visit to automatically
and tried again. It worked. What? I changed it back to every visit, no go.
Changed it back to automatic, it worked. OK, lets try this, unchecked the
box use HTTP 1.1 through proxy, no go. Checked the box again, worked.

Went to another workstation and change the cache settings to auto and use
HTTP 1.1 through proxy, it worked. Unchecked the HTTP 1.1 proxy box, no go.
Rechecked it, changed cache settings from auto back to every visit, no go.
Left the box for HTTP 1.1 through proxy and changed cache settings to every
visit, works.

SO, I had to set the IE cache settings to automatic AND checked the box for
HTTP 1.1 through proxy to get it to work.

So, thanks go to the honorable Jim for his time and effort and for pointing
me in the right direction of how to resolve.

John T
eServices For You

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1802-1882)

On Behalf Of
> Jim Harrison
> Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 12:33 PM
> To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [isalist] Re: Extremely slow connection to Fedex.com

> Unfortunately, those captures don't cover the same behavior.
> The FF capture stops short of the remaining content that the IE cap shows.
> Each example uses a different tracking request, so that makes them more
difficult to
> compare.
>
> FF is using Kerberos proxy auth, where IE is using NTLM.  Both are
connection-based
> authentication mechanisms, so auth is only required once per connection
(unless the
> Kerb ticket expires).
>
> IE is making HTTP/1.0 requests, FF is making HTTP/1.1.  Check the IE
> settings to ensure that "use HTTP 1.1" and "use HTTP 1.1 through proxies"
are both
> selected.
>
> In each case, the process moves smoothly until the response for
> http://ehg.fedex.com/HG is received.
> IE cap frame 264
> FF cap frame 145
> This is where the tracking requests differ, BTW.
>
> In both cases, ~5 seconds elapses before another request is made as HTTP:
Request,
> "POST http://www.fedex.com/Tracking"; (user delay?).
> IE cap frame 272
> FF cap frame 158
> ..this response is received almost immediately
>
> Unfortunately, this is also where the FF and IE captures diverge.
> IE continues to make more requests to fedex, but FF only makes another
request to
> http://ehg.fedex.com/HG and here the FF capture stops.  Note that IE never
makes
> any such request again.
>
> The IE cap continues normally until frame 348, where it makes a request
for

http://www.fedex.com/templates/components/javascript/us/rollover/tbrowser_ie
.js.