[isalist] Re: Extending a subnet

  • From: Jerry Young <jerrygyoungii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:16:38 -0400

Steve,

I'm not sure a 24-bit subnet mask is "standard", although it is probably the
most often used, and, technically speaking there are only 254 usable IP
addresses in that block (I know, I got a bit pedantic like Jim tends to). :)

For the purposes of this discussion, though, you'll probably have to get
fairly specific with how you've carved up your networks and the IP addresses
you've added.  The next largest block you can use is a 23-bit subnet mask
but that essentially doubles the total number of usable IP addresses.

In general, though, you usually need to think in terms of IP address ranges
and then map backwards to required subnets.

So, when you say you've dual honed (I think you mean dual homed?) one
particular NIC to add an additional range of IP addresses, how did you
configure that NIC?

--
Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II