RE: Error 786: The L2TP connection attempt failed because there is no valid machine certificate on your computer for security authentication

  • From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:25:48 +0100

Hi Tom,

The problem occurs because the System and Administrator accounts do not have
sufficient permissions to, or the Administrators group does not have
ownership of, the directory %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder. By
implementing the solution mentioned in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295162, we could
solve the problem.

We also found out that in our case a whole bunch of HP Evo N1020V laptops
with pre-installed XP have that particular problem. We could quickly verify
if it was that permissions problem by trying to export the machine cert
through the Certificate MMC:

1. If the permissions are wrong, we got the message: "The associated private
key can not be found. Only the certificate can be exported."

2. If the permissions are correctly set, the message was: "The associated
private key is marked as not exportable. Only the certificate can be
exported."

I think this topic is worth mentioning in the next newsletter ;-)

Kindly,
Stefaan