Emergency help: firewall client on MS ISA 2K problem!

  • From: krisnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:09:38 +0700

http://www.ISAserver.org

Dear All,

I have one server running as DC 2NICs( 1st one for Local IP, 2nd one for getting
the IP from the DSL dialup connection) , Mail server (ms exchange 2k sp4) and
Internet Connection & sharing(MS ISA 2k sp2)

after switching to DSL for my internet connection. I meet some problem with the
surfing internet. i have created the dsl conneciton end configure the Dailup
Entry, Network configureation and Routing in the MSA already.

My server machine need a firewall client when surfing internet, while my
clients (ms windows XP) can surf with/without it and with proxy setting. My
local Intranet is working fine(surfing
on the server when firewall disable/enable)

+ With firewall client disable on the Server:
  - Can not surf internet reply with a message:
     The page can not be found
     -------------
     -------------
     -------------
     Cannot find server or DNS Error
     Internet Explorer
  - the Symantec NAV can update its definition, but the POPCon 2.92 can not
download the Virus definition.

+ With firewall client enable on ther server:
  - Can surf internet (with/without proxy)
  - the Symantec NAV still can update its def, the POPCon 2.92 can download its
virus defition.

  - But the DSN does not working sometime with restarting, and also display the
warning message "Atleast one service failed during start up, check the Event
Viewer to see.." and The DNS error is
"--------------------------------------------------
Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID:       408
Date:           6/15/2004
Time:           7:45:55 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       SERVER
The DNS server could not open socket for address 0.0.0.0.
Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer.
If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in
the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces.  Then stop and
restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and
the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error.  In that case
remove
the DNS\Parmeters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry
and restart.)

If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other
application
(e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.

For more information, see "DNS server log reference" in the online Help.
"-----------------------------------------------------------

And the DNS is service is stop, but after manually restart, it works fine.

Just a moment ago. there is another problem come: my clients can not surf the
internet unless using the internal ip address for the proxy in IE, while
sending mail throw exchange can use my server name (ms outlook xp,configure to
be a exchange client); and pinging to my server name it reply the internal ip
address.

Any helps would be appreciating.

Thanks
Krisna

Ps: My staffs can send/receive email properly (as the Ms Exchange clients and
POP 3)