Dial Up connection now does not resolve names

  • From: "Tony Pemberton" <adpemberton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 03:24:02 -0600

We implemented an ISA Server configuration approx 8 months ago. ISA was
dialing up to the intenet with the installed ADSL Modem. Browsing worked
fine - the sever also acted as an Email gateway running Mail Essentials.
The server is a Windows 2000 member server on SP2. ISA is on service pack1

Last week the dial-up connection refused to resolve names on the internet.
Typing WWW.NOVELL.COM into NSLOOKUP returns an IP address , and in turn
this IP address when typed into IE brings up the web page. Emails are
coming in and out of the server fine. We could even VPN to the server to
support it.

We removed ISA server but the problem still persists.

Installing the ADSL modem on another machine and using the same dial-up
account works fine - browsing on the laptop with the same modem and
dial-up connection works perfectly.

IF the RRAS service is running on the server the dial-up connection
recieves a default gateway address that is different to its IP address.

HEEELP!!!