RE: DNS issue

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:42:55 -0600

Hi John,

Is your DNS server working as both an Advertiser for your hosted domains
AND resolver for your internal network? If the DNS server on your
internal network is acting as a resolver, it needs access to all
*sites*, but no all protocols. In fact, if the DNS server is acting only
as an advertiser, no Protocol Rule is required, because a dynamic packet
filter (dynamic Protocol Rule) is created to allow the response.

So next step -- is your DNS server acting as an advertiser? Resolver?
Both?

Safety tip: Do NOT allow you public DNS server to act as a resolver,
because that can open you up to various DNS poisoning exploits.

What do you see in the firewall log when you have no protocol rule that
allows the DNS server outbound access? (check only the entries related
to the inbound DNS query from an external host).

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder