DNS Using Quick Start Guide

  • From: "Tom Rogers" <trogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:09:09 -0400

According to the Quick Start guide that I used to get my ISA server up and
running, I need to put the IP Addr of the ISA server as the Primary DNS server
IP for my DHCP clients.

I have a W2K Active Directory domain with a DNS server already on the internal
network. I have noticed that if I do as the Quick Start guide says, (Use the IP
of the ISA Server as my primary DNS server), I can no longer ping my domain
name. Also, select services on servers, that use the Domain Admin acct, will
not start because they cannot find the Domain Admin acct. Also, when joining a
new computer to my domain, I have to use the old NetBIOS domain name because I
get an error stating that mydomain.net does not exist or cannot be found. (I
have WINS IP doled out by the DHCP running on ISA)

Now, I setup the DNS service on the ISA server EXACTLY as the Quick Start guide
states. So why is this happening?

(As a work around, I have made the Primary DNS IP Addr that of the Internal DNS
server, and the ISA server IP Addr is now the secondary DNS. Everything works
fine this way. PLUS all clients that are allowed Internet Access, have it.)

TIA,

-TRR