Re: DNS Subnet question with DMZ

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:45:56 -0700

Hi Constatinos,

    Yes, I did get it, but yesterday was more of CR2 with other lab's machines
and "do your job anyway".
Anyway, the answer is:

ISA external NIC
no obvious issues here; I forgot to as about your internal ISA NIC, though

ISA DMZ NIC
IP = <DMZ_IP>  x.x.x.5
it should start higher, depending on the assigned mask
GW = <empty>  ok
NM = <subnet of extGW>  255.255.255.128
it should be .192 or .224 or .240 or .248

DMZ Server
IP = <DMZ_srvr_IP>  x.x.x.6
This will depend on how you assign the DMZ mask
GW = <ISA_DMZ__NIC>  x.x.x.5
NM = <ISA_DMZ_NM>  255.255.255.128
This will depend on how you assign the DMZ mask

Here's the deal with the DMZ settings; your DMZ has to be a subnet of the
external ISA subnet.  If you use the same netmask, it simply joins the ISA
external subnet and you'll get IP spoofing errors.
Your DMZ mask assignment will determine your DMZ IP options (remember that one
of the IP's belongs to the ISA DMZ NIC):
Mask    IP Range
.128    not valid for DMZ
.192    .65 - .126
.224    .33 - .62
    or    .65 - .94
    or    .97 - 126
.240    .17 - .30
    or    .33 - .46
    or    .49 - .62
    or    .65 - .78
    or    .81 - .94
    or    .97 - .110
    or    .113 - .126
.248    .9 - .14
    or    .17 - .22
    or    .25 - .30
    or    .33 - .38
    or    .41 - .46
    or    .49 - .54
    or    .57 - .62
    or    .65 - .70
    or    .73 - .78
    or    .81 - .86
    or    .89 - .94
    or    .97 - .102
    or    .105 - .110
    or    .113 - .118
    or    .121 - .126

DMZ Server IE settings
No proxy (empty the settings)   ok

ISA PF  Here trying to implement the following packet filter i get the
following message here
IP protocol = TCP
Direction = outbound
Local port = All ports
Remote port = Fixed, 80
local computer = "these computers (on the perimeter network)"  After it tries
to find the server in the DMZ (which happens due to NETBEUI that is installed
on that DMZ WIN2k Server (please dont scream!!!)) it tells that it cant find
the ip address allocated with that server.
No screaming, just advising you to ditch NetBEUI.  It's not supported by ISA
and only serves to confuse during troubleshooting.  If you fix your DMZ
subnetting, I bet this error will go away.
Remote Computer = All

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG