RE: DNS Restart After ISA Server Reboot

  • From: "Troy Robbins" <trobbins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:10:19 -0500

Mark,

We encountered a similar problem under the following conditions:
- upon reboot of the ISA server
- restart of the ISA services
- external DNS failure from our ISP

After spending time attempting to troubleshoot any issue that was going on with
DNS or ISA, the workaround I came up with was to create a script that polls an
external FQDN with more than one DNS server, the script then parses the results
and counts the DNS servers returned, if the result is not what was expected the
script restarts the local DNS service (logs an event) and rechecks the results
again. If the script returned bad results the 2nd pass through a notification
event is fired off as well (i.e. email, MS Messenger Service, log file and
event log). The script keeps a tally of the total failures and will stop after
the 3rd attempted restart of the DNS service - notifying us that human
intervention is required. We use the script on all of our internal DNS servers
(5) and its executed every 4 minutes. On average the DNS service is restarted a
couple times every other day, very seldom have we had to intervene - only when
perhaps our external DNS servers were having issues.

While this obviously doesn't resolve the underlying problem, it's certainly
placed a Band-Aid on the issue and allowed us to move on for the time being. If
you like I can email the script to you off list.

Troy Robbins, CISSP