DNS Query

  • From: "charles" <cwp9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 04:17:33 -0600

Hi Everybody ,

I am trying to setup an ISA server to protect our network , and you might
want to know it is my first handling ever of any kind of firewall. I have
a DNS server resolving for our domain and then forwarding further Internet
queries to our ISP's DNS Server. I have placed the ISA server in the
domain and placed one test server behind the ISA server. On the internal
NIC of ISA I have entered our DNS server as Primary DNS but as this server
is still on an external network it has external ip-addresses as records. I
have added the internal ip adresses of the ISA internal NIC and of the
test server behind the ISA to our DNS server.
However pinging the internal ip adresses is failing miserably; I get timed
out or a response from an unknown ip adress. I can see the network from
the internal test server but connect to any of the other servers. Should I
then set up a seperate DNS server just for the internal IP range of the
same domain. Removing external ip adresses from the "old" DNS and adding
them to the "new internal" DNS as we move servers one by one behind the
ISA?

If anybody has experience with this kind of an issue I would be very
gratefull.