DMZ perimeter network works withOUT a packet filter

  • From: "Nigel Carroll" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:34:23 +0800

I found that even when I had a packer filter defined all I could do was
ping from PC (see below) which is normal due to the way ICMP is allowed
when IP routing is enabled, so had to define a protocol filter to get
web access.

I then DISabled the Packet filter and to my surprise discovered that ISA
does NOT block outward access from PC - all that is needed is a Protocol
filter.

This is contrary to doco I've read (in Tom's book) that says you should
ONLY need a packet filter when using a perimeter network DMZ design like
mine below.
Am I missing something here or is this normal behaviour?
Nigel

internet

External NIC
ISA Server