Re: DHCP and web server in a DMZ or should we publish from the private network

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 08:02:35 -0800

Are you saying that "public" users will be in the DMZ?  That's the only way
DHCP discover will get to a DMZ-based DHCP server; ISA doesn't pass
broadcast traffic at all.
Bear in mind that any client using the DMZ as their connection point will
_not_ be able to make use of the ISA web proxy; only packet filters function
there.
Generally speaking, if you want to separate "public" and "private" subnets
and still maintain continuity of ISA usage, you have to give ISA two
internal interfaces; one in each subnet and make sure no client (except as
you designate) is a secureNAT client.

HTH,
Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/
Read the book!

From: "Brian Harris" <bharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx><~!B*+R^&>To:
"[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx><~!B*+R^&>Sent:
Thursday, December 27, 2001 20:14
Subject: [isalist] DHCP and web server in a DMZ or should we publish
from
the private network

http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi,

I have a topic that I need some advice on.  I have a site (park) that is
open to the general public and they will be able to roam around the site
using wireless technology to log on to the proposed DMZ and will be
issued
with an IP via DHCP and then as they move from one area to another they
will have different information available from a web server in the DMZ.

The wireless side is fine but I'm struggling on whether I need to set
the
web server up in a DMZ or publish it from the private network.  My
security experience is smacking me in the face and saying no to the
private side publishing....!!!  As users will have valid private IP
address.

Has anyone done any work on this area?

Thanks in advance and this site is great!!!

Regards

Brian Harris