Re: Connection Second NIC-Newbie Question

  • From: "Kevin S.. Malinowski" <Kevin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:10:13 -0700

To put this in perspective. ISA, simply put, is a firewall. Thus, you want the
firewall between your clients and the internet.

Your ISA server requires at least two Network Cards.

NIC1: Public side of the ISA server (connected to your DSL Modem)
NIC2: Private side of the ISA server (connected to your internal LAN)

All of your clients can connect uing a hub/switch connected to the ISA server
which will process all of the requests to the internet for you. The Linksys
router becomes redundant, you can still use the 4 port 10/100 (if it is the
four port version) switch as your switch (you may want to turn off the DHCP
server on the Linksys router).

This means that NIC2 connects to the switch and the clients connect through the
switch to the ISA server. You can then configure the ISA server to allow secure
NAT, Web Proxy, Firewall services for all your clients or a combination of the
previous three.

HTH
Kevin