Re: Clever Users

  • From: "Shawn Schiebrel" <SSchiebrel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:20:28 -0400

change all your switches to layer 3.. then subnet the ip addresses so that if
they change their IP address, they no longer work ( routing won't allow them to
connect)

then allow that "subnet" to connect to the internet or not at your whim.  A
little creative subnetting can go a long way.. most new layer 3 switches aren't
expensive and can support up to 16 different subnets..

we are looking at doing just this... it also has the very nice side benefit of
stopping broadcast storms across a flat switched network.