RE: Christmas

  • From: "Thor \(Hammer of God\)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:51:35 -0800

There are two ways to go about it - You can identify traffic as being anomalous by explicitly defining what normal is and comparing patterns to that. This is a very valid way of doing it, but only in certain, limited situations where one maps out hosts to defined services and protocols that should be going to and coming from different resources. This should be a narrow set of traffic definitions that pertain to critical server resources. It is a much faster way of identifying potential issues, but does not work for everything. But when a web server starts spitting out SQL traffic that it shouldn't, you want to know that.

The really powerful way to go about it is to define "dimensions" to traffic that can be quantified, or measured. Things like percentage of bandwidth utilization, packets per second, unique destination hosts over some time continuum, same source/destination port over some time continuum, off-net source addresses, etc. The trick, I think, is to "layer" the processes responsible for qualifying the traffic once it has been quantified. The approach I use is to have the first layer process just be responsible for identifying that something is different. That's it. That process quantifies the data, packages up the relevant variables regarding the data, and passes it off to the qualification layer. Basically, it says "Hey, there is something different about this traffic. I have no idea what it is, and I really don't care, but here is an aggregate summation of what I think you need in order to figure that out."

Then it goes back to looking at the traffic, while the qualification layer goes about finding out exactly what is special or anomalous about the traffic. If it can come up with something, it passes it on to the response layer, and so on. I believe that trusted modal processes in layers can be far more efficient for a real-time anomalous traffic detection system than any linear process that currently exist.

----- "I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>