RE: Caching configuration and News Site (cnn.com)

  • From: "Quillman Shawn (RBNA/CIT1.1) *" <Shawn.Quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:34:49 -0500

Some more thoughts:

- you may want to create a destination set for news sites and have them not
cached or at least updated frequently
- you may also want to set the browser to not cache at all, or at least
empty the browser cache frequently.  In IE the best you can do is reduce the
cache to 1MB.  In Netscape you can set both disk and memory cache down to 0
bytes which effectively disables it.
- to clarify something in my explanation below, a public cache is a shared
cache.  ISA's cache is a public cache since it is shared between your users.
A browser cache is a private cache since it is only used by that one person
using the browser.

-Shawn

-----
Shawn R. Quillman
Robert Bosch Corporation RBNA/CIT1.1
38000 Hills Tech Drive
Farmington Hills, MI  48331
(248) 553-1164 (P)     (248) 848-2855 (F)
shawn.quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:48:16 GMT
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/6.1 AOL
Last-Modified: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:48:15 GMT
Cache-Control: private,max-age=60

Private in the cache-control header means that a public cache must not cache
it and the max-age means that a private cache (like a browser's) must expire
it after 60 seconds.  The time difference between the Date and Expires
headers reinforces that 60 second expiration.  My guess is that other
objects sent by CNN have similar cache directives.

anp.com Response Headers:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Via: 1.0 MYPROXY
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:50:17 GMT

This is a cacheable response, however other objects and pages deeper in the
site may have cache-control directives associated with them.  I would be
suspicious of this site without further investigation.

Another site, msnbc.com (after following their redirects...):
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Via: 1.0 MYPROXY
Expires: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:59:51 GMT
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:59:50 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
P3P: CP="BUS CUR CONo FIN IVDo ONL OUR PHY SAMo TELo"
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: private
Accept-Ranges: none

Similiar to CNN, public cache must not cache but a private cache can unless
it knows about the Pragma header.  If it understands the Pragma header then
it won't cache because of the no-cache directive.  The content is set to
expire immediately upon loading (with an Expires header set to a date in the
past) so a private cache will never return anything because its content will
already be expired.  I would guess that this is also the norm for the
majority of the content on this site.

Hope that helps!

-Shawn

-----