RE: Cable modem problem

  • From: Robert.Cross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:27:13 +0100

All,

I also have a cable modem and a front end ISA server, the server has to
pick up DHCP addresses for the external interface from the ISP and the
lease time is 1 day and this works fine with the DHCP client packet filter
enabled, on occasion however, the lease time returned is 1 hour and the
DHCP server seems to reject any attempt to renew the lease.

Once the lesae has expired the server assigns itself an APIPA address
(169.254.x.x) but will not pick up another address from the DHCP server
unless the firewall service is stopped within ISA, I have also tried
disabling the APIPA so the address reverts to 0.0.0.0 but it is still
unable to pich up a new DHCP lease while the ISA firewall is running.

This could be a problem with the ISA software itself but if I can't find a
solution I will have to consider scrapping the cable modem and going with
ADSL, Demon Internet offer a static IP address as part of their ADSL
package which will make all of the problems go away.

Robert