RE: Cable modem problem

  • From: "Dan Bartley" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:24:21 -0400

Works fine. It's blocked from the outside, hands out internally with no
problem. This was originally a single server environment, now it is only
2.

Here is where I ended up with the DHCP on the cable modem issue.

If I reboot the server, it will get it's DHCP from the cable company on
the external interface and everything works fine. However, if I try to
do a release and then renew it will fail. One would think this means
that the ISA Control is the problem, despite having the DHCP client rule
enabled and configured, and I just need to turn it off temporarily from
the desktop to manually renew. On a reboot the DHCP client starts up and
gets it's IP before ISA starts up. However, if I am logged on and go to
a command prompt with ISA running it will not renew, with the above in
mind it would seem I just need to stop ISA Control and it's associated
services with it (will anyway). This does not work though. If ISA has
started at all, even if I turn it off, it will not get it's DHCP
address. Only a reboot will allow it to get one. This was true for the
ISDN router too. Unfortunately, that means something is still wrong and
in a month when my controlling cable company goes to renew the IP and
verify the correct MAC address is there, it will fail, I will go down
until I notice it and then have to reboot to recover.

So if anyone has any thoughts on what might be wrong, I would greatly
appreciate it. I've gone through the Learning Zone docs several times on
the instructions for this, to no avail. So, yes, the rule is enabled and
configured correctly, but it still does not work.

Me thinks I have something misconfigured somewhere or a faulty install
because I also have the web issue where I can not publish a web server
to an internal IP, only works if I set the external IP on the web
site.new and verufy the correct MAC addr

Dan Bartley, MCSE+Internet
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx