RE: Browser Hijackers

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:21:56 -0700

Hi Amy,

I only resort to "the tool" when they refuse to "play nice with the other kids".
There's always one or two in the bunch that haven't moved beyond emotional
adolescence, and these are the ones I usually swing on.
Everyone gets many tries at absorbing facts and adjusting their own behavior; I
have just have no tolerance for the "I have a right"
mentality that usually forces a network admin to post questions like these.

Case in point:
Occasionally, a virus will make its way into the hallowed halls of Borgdominium
(no; really - it's happened!) and our ever-vigilant
network admins will start shutting down switch ports in an effort to contain
the beast.
Unfortunately, we have a greater-than-normal quantity of per-capita ego here.
These folks of the monster-ego bent who find themselves cut off from the
network will, instead of trying to clean up their machines,
run a network cable to their neighbor's office.
My favorite game in those times is "cut the cable" and I keep a pair of sharp
lineman's scissors (t-phone guys know these little
gems -they can cut pennies!) for just such an event.
I just love hearing them scream about calling security because their "tap
regeneration" was intentionally destroyed...

Jim's Rules of User-Engagement:
1. ignorance is allowed once and only once.  I'm more than happy (and
available) to educate Joe (and Jane) user, but they have a
communal responsibility to exercise
2. forgetting the ignorance cure is allowed once and only once.  Everybody
experiences cranial effluvium on occasion and forgiveness
is next to godliness
3. "oh, yeh, huh?" earns Joe (or Jane) User an out-of consciousness experience

If it sounds like I'm a total jerk, a$$, or any other uncomplimentary
description, you're right, but only when it's obvious that
userX is incapable of seeing past the end of their own nose.

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver
 http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison