Re: Botched Setup based on W3k server / ISA 2004

  • From: "Glenn" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:56:34 -0700

Well I am pretty sure it's "Game Over", at least as far as I am concerned
with this particular company anyway.

I have had a meeting today with the MD, and the office manager. I produced
a "warts and all" document that details the issues in the environment,
including the physical ones like 2 of the servers sitting on the floor, no
UPS's, a single monitor for the 5 servers with no KVM, and 2 pair
telephone cable with an RJ45's on each end used as network patch cables. I
took them through it, explaining it in laymens terms as far as I could.
Understatement of the year, that they were horrified.

They seem overly concerned with the delivery schedule of their project, at
the start of the meeting the MD, emphasied, yet again, that the delivery
schedule can't be allowed to slip even  by 1 day. There must be some
pretty heavy penalties in the contract if the delivery time table is
missed.

I think the prior sys admin has rattled them so much, with constant down
time, it seems, from the MD's comments going back to the easter of last
year, and now this most recent episode of new users unable to VPN in, that
they are to shit scared to touch anything, even if it is not working 100%,
as history has shown, once the prior guy touched it, it stopped working. I
found out this afternoon he also built the desktops and notebooks, so God
only known what state they are in.

So, I told them only way forward, that I was prepared to get involved with
any way, was a full rebuild of firstly the ISA, without it being a DC,
then we really should do the rest of the servers to ensure they are best
practice, and that this must include fixing up the physical environment,
to at least a minimum level.

There parting comment at the end of the meeting was "Thanks, we will be in
contact".

I am not expecting a call, at least not until it all falls down around
them in a screaming heep.

Thanks to all for your comments.