Re: Botched Setup based on W3k server / ISA 2004

  • From: Paul Noble <pnoble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:31:27 -0000

Double ouch.

You really really need a second isa only box on that network asap.

If the software is legit at all then the accounts dept will have record of
the purchases, chase it back thru that, find the reseller and the purchase
plan - if its on Volume license then with a bit of pleading and the accounts
records you should be able to get the agreement number and get the vlks from
the online agreement summary stuff. You could order a media from the
reseller too, maybe 50 dollars max for the disks...

At least then you can see what you have license wise to play with, once you
have the install media (or if it cant wait get the trial version, its only
gonna be live for a week or so), you at least have some breathing space to
build a second box for ISA only, hash the rules up you need, and migrate the
users.

How you clean up a DC with ISA back to a DC only role (or un DC it) I don't
know. But if the users migrate to the new box then it should be a case of
unplugging the external ISA interface and sorting the replication problems,
you could just leave the box as is stunted on the network with the isa
components totally unused for anything.

Unless you run a parallel install and migrate, the downtime will be
inevitable. Time always costs money, they should understand that, they want
zero down time, its going to cost :(