Blocking Yahoo (here it goes again...)

  • From: "Sushil Bhalla" <sushilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 03:52:09 -0600

Hello All,

It must have been discussed a million-times but here it goes again.

I want to block Yahoo Messenger for some of the users in my Organizagion.
I have created a Protocol Rule which denies TCP Port 5050. I have created
13 different Destination sets and Denied those also seperately in Site and
content rules. But still users get through. Even one of my destinations is
*.yahoo.com. This prevents users from going to any of the Yahoo sites from
browser but Yahoo IM still goes through. It must be using SOCKS4. My
question here is which will supersede - The SOCKS4 connection or the
"Denial of the Yahoo Sites" rule.

On an additional Note, I have another Site and Content Rule which allows
All contents, All Destinations, Always to All workstations. (All
workstations includes range of my DHCP).

Will the above Rule be considered "Anonymous" and be preceded by any of
the other Site and Content Deny Rules. (I read it somewhere in the ISALIST
itself someone saying that "Anonymous" rules take precedence over all
other rules. Please correct me if I am wrong).

Just getting confused here and will very much appreciate a clearer picture
on how ISA exactly works and a detailed information on "How to Block
Yahoo" will be very very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sushil Bhalla
Imageware International