[isalist] Re: Blocking Web Bots

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:28:30 -0700

Yes, from the client standpoint, the end result is indeed "legitimate," but
it's just getting there that is the issue.  Spider-bots are normally easy to
at least identify (the initial connection request, anyway) but you just
don't know what all the harvesters are doing.  You could possibly spend a
good amount of time poring over logs and such to identify what agents are
doing what, and possibly mitigate exposure, but like you said, it's just a
matter of time.  If you are getting paid appropriately for your time, and
the client understands that this will be an ongoing, billable project, then
you're fine.. But my guess is that won't last long.  Education is probably
the best way to go here.   If you have a mailto: link on an anonymously
accessible static page somewhere, it's going to be botted.

They could also go for the OCR-thwarting options (like many of the "whois"
providers use) but that's even more of a hassle... I mean, if you are going
to make the user type in something, it may as well be the email address.

On 9/14/06 10:06 PM, "Glenn P. JOHNSTON" <glenn.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
spoketh to all: