RE: Beginner question setting up standard edition

  • From: Joe Pochedley <JoePochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:38:57 -0500

Liz,

I know this is only a test machine and maybe you're trying to use web
servers and email servers on your NT domain to test ISA's functionality, but
typically (in a simple scenario) your internal domain is part of the
internal interface...  The Internet, DMZ, etc is what's connected to the
external interface...   Typically you don't need the external NIC to connect
to your NT domain for authentication purposes because the NT domain is
connected to the internal NIC...

If you are using internal web sites and mail servers on your NT domain for
your testing and pretending that they're on the Internet, then for TESTING
purposes only go ahead a leave MS network client bound to the "external
interface"....   In this scenario you're going to need to open up the ports
on the ISA server IF your test client on the internal ISA interface also
needs to authenticate to the domain (don't even know if this would work,
anyone?)  You're going to need to completely reconfigure the machine when it
comes time to deploy (always good to start from scratch anyway after
testing)....  It seems like a backward testing scenario, but I guess it
would work for getting your feet wet without an available internet
connection...

You don't want people accessing your server through F&PS from the external
interface (the Internet) which is why you unbind these services from the
external NIC as well...

HTH

JoeP