Re: Basics of Opening Ports?

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 06:46:42 -0700

It's not as simple as "opening ports".
for ISA-bound apps, you generally want packet filters.  THe exception is for
proxy-aware toys; they can usually use "localhost:8080" to get through.
for internal host-bound apps, you'll need protocol rules.

THe ISA help and many tutorials on www.isaserver.org cover this pretty well.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/