RE: Backup ISA configurations

  • From: "Blake Al" <al.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:16:00 +1000

BIG warning.
I found out the hard way.
You cant use this backup to restore the ISA config to another machine - if you
do you get TWO GUID for your ISA server in the AD.
Seems pretty dumb to me as otherwise whats the point of the backup? But thats
the word from MS - you can ONLY restore from the ISA configs backup to the SAME
machine with the SAME GUID - even if you reinstall on the SAME hardware it
screws up.
I have bodged around my problems but its still causing me grief with repgen
after a reinstall to the same hardware (but rejoining the AD with a new GUID).
So beware.

MS recommendation to me is:
use the ISAInfo tool to produce a TEXT DESCRIPTION of your ISA box
configuration.
Reinstall the OS
Resinstall ISA
Reconfigure ISA using the output of ISAInfo BY HAND !!!!

Yes I know its unbeleivable but its true. You cant (they say) restore an ISA
config from machine A onto machine B (although I have nearly done it - if I can
fix repgen :) )

Regards
Al.