Auto Detection

  • From: "Horn, Phillip - Technician" <phorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ISAServer (isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:57:12 -0400

Hey,
Quick question about the auto detection of proxy server in IE.  When you set
up the WPAD entry in DNS, how exactly is that done?   I have the steps:

Open DNS
DNS server
Forward Lookup Zones
Applicable zone
In Alias name, type WPAD.
In Fully qualified name for target host, type the fully-qualified domain
name of the ISA Server computer or array.

Now - the kicker here is that it's an NT 4 environment.  I know you should
still be able to add the WPAD as a CNAME value, and it still should work,
right??  I don't do the DNS, but the guy who does says he added the value
(and won't bother to double check to see if it's right - and it's not, since
it isn't working..) and it doesn't work.

Now - if I ping wpad, should that get me a reply from the ISA server??  I
can't get a reply from that - but I can get a reply from
wpad.ashland.k12.ky.us which is the ISA, but I don't think that's exactly
right..  Shouldn't I get a reply from just ping wpad??
Any help is appreciated..
Thanks,

Phillip Horn
Ashland Independent School District