Application Using HTTP 80 but Blocked Using Redirector

  • From: "Kincer, Rick" <Rick_Kincer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List] (E-mail)" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:34:46 -0400

Hello all,

Using ISA Enterprise in an NT domain users set up as Web Proxy using FWC to
get out for FTP and RA, also have "Reject HTTP Requests" set in the HTTP
Redirector. We use SmartFilter so we must block HTTP via the FWC because SF
requires authentication and the FWC does not pass any credentials, so if the
Redirector is off anyone can get past the content filtering by removing the
IE Proxy settings then IE would go through the FWC unfiltered. If I enable
the Redirector and set it to "redirect to local Proxy service" then everyone
gets a "page can not be found" message when using the FWC for HTTP access,
(same as having it denied) this is because SmartFilter requires
authentication which is not passed through the FWC so the request is
denied....confused yet...??

Problem: Users have a new application that requires updates be retrieved
from the Internet but since it can't go HTTP through the FWC it fails. I
have also set the app to go to "proxyservername:80" but still no dice. I
tried adding the exe name to the FWC and set it to Deny and "1" so the FWC
will deny connection and force it to  go through the WebProxy service but
that did not work.

So how can I set this application up so it will use the WebProxy service
even though it is a WinSock application?

If SmartFilter could get authentication through the FWC I could use the
Redirector to "Redirect to local Proxy service" then HTTP would be allowed
through the FWC, still filtered and this application could get its
updates.....

Any ideas??

Thank you!!

Rick