Re: Anything to worry about?

  • From: "Mark Strangways" <strangconst@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:57:52 -0400

I have gotten a ton of them as well, they are strange and I suspect they may
have come from a virus or are a virus.
I followed the trail they left in my logs back to www.imate.net. As soon as I
got there the web site wanted me to download a file called "readme.exe" and it
called it a wave file. Thanks, but no thanks.
I traced a IP from a cable modem that was trying to view a web page, I don't
have IIS up so that was of little use to him. But when I check what he had at
his IP, it asked my to download the exact same thing !!!!!!!

This was indeed odd. His default page was win 2000 "Under Construction" page
which then launched some MXLHTML or something like that and prompted my to save
the download.

Perhaps this is the work of the new code red ?

regards,

Mark