Another DSL/ISA question

  • From: "Ken McClain" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:57:23 -0700

I just recently got DSL although it doesn't get activated for another
week. I have planned my internal network which consists of 6 PC's all
running either W2K Server or XP Pro.  I have one W2K Server designated as
the ISA Server with two NIC, another will run Active Directory and DNS
(using DNS forwarding).  The NIC card in the ISA Server that connects to
the DSL modem is set up to use DHCP (DHCP supplied by the modem (10.0.0.1)
starting at 10.0.0.2 and up). The other NIC is set to 192.168.1.1
(internal network). All internal PC's are assigned static IP addresses.

Now my question. The DSL modem comes configured to provide DHCP address,
DNS, and NAPT. I want to allow it to provide DHCP but I'm not sure if I
should disable the DNS and NAPT since ISA provides NAT and AD/DNS will
forward to either the DNS servers at my ISP or where my Domain name is
hosted by IP address.

Does it seem reasonable to only have the NAT and DNS in one place? Not on
the DSL Modem?

Thanks in advance,
Ken McClain
Nickel Software