Re: Accountability with NAT

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:11:14 -0800

NAT shouldn't affect accountability if you're auditing the logs properly.
ISA logs every packet that it sees, so accountability becomes even stronger.
Better that you use private IPs through NAT for two reasons:
    1. no one can directly access your internal network from the Internet as
it's not routable.
    2. no one in the LAN can communicate with the Internet without NAT for
the same reason
..no; you can't place ISA between your LAN and the Internet without using
NAT.
Even if you use public IPs internally, ISA will still translate between
them.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/