[isalist] Re: Accessing live media streams over TMG

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 16:51:12 +0000

Someone buggered the streaming content on the whyy site.
When you click the whyy link, your browser makes a request for
"http://www.whyy.org/91FM/whyy_hd.asx";, for which the Crapache server produces
the following response:

- Http: Response, HTTP/1.1, Status: Ok, URL: http://www.whyy.org/91FM/whyy.asx
    ProtocolVersion: HTTP/1.1
    StatusCode: 200, Ok
    Reason: OK
    Via:  1.1 HEARTOFGOLD-01
    Connection:  Keep-Alive
    ProxyConnection:  Keep-Alive
    ContentLength:  24
    Date:  Mon, 17 May 2010 16:33:20 GMT
    Age:  0
  + ContentType:  video/x-ms-asf
    ETag:  "55d284-18-e8d90480"
    Server:  Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS)
    Accept-Ranges:  bytes
    Last-Modified:  Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:52:18 GMT
    HeaderEnd: CRLF
    payload: HttpContentType =  video/x-ms-asf
- ASF: Advanced Systems Format
    http://207.245.67.204:80

WinMedia forgives the lack of XML formatting in the response and attempts to
reach the specified location, which then responds with
- Http: HTTP Payload, URL: /
  - payload: HttpContentType = NetmonNull
     HTTPPayloadLine: ICY 200 OK
     HTTPPayloadLine: icy-notice1:<BR>This stream requires <a
href="http://www.winamp.com/";>Winamp</a><BR>
     HTTPPayloadLine: icy-notice2:SHOUTcast Distributed Network Audio
Server/win32 v1.9.5<BR>
..followed by 305 bytes of more noise.

The reason TMG rejects this response is because the it isn't formed properly:

1.       There is no separation between the header fields and the response body

2.       The response includes no indication of response-body size, yet it
include a total of 408 bytes (apparently an mpeg file).

3.       The response-body includes ill-formed HTML

IOW, WHYY steaming media admins have borked the content.

Jim