[isalist] Re: ASA 5500 in front of ISA 2006

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 09:48:59 -0500

Tim,

In general you're right. We used to be a lot more tolerant of a wide
variety of questions and I know personally that I've gotten a lot more
short fused on a number of subjects, so I'll keep that in mind in the
future.

However, it was interesting in this *specific* circumstance what was
going on  here. Ray tried to hose us for being ISA only and "rip and
replace" which isn't any of our objectives. In fact, I'm on record in
many many places stating that rip and replace isn't the best way go to
-- if you have something that works, why not use it until it stops
working?

However, when we asked *why* the ASA was even there, we learned that an
ignorant (we know he's ignorant because we know now that NO regulations
require or suggest that a "hardware" FW be in front of the ISA Firewall)
or potentially corrupt auditor (we don't know if he's corrupt yet, just
a lot of circumstantial evidence) was the reason for bringing the
dreaded ASA into the ISA Firewall environment where no ASA was required
or even needed. So now I can argue two things:

* Why should I help line the pockets of an ignorant and possibly corrupt
auditor just so that he can further terrorize other customers so that
they waste money on hardware they don't require
* Bob came to use with an honest question about a problem that he's
actually having to deal with -- it wasn't Bob who was hapless and it
wasn't Bob who fell pray to the ignorant and possibly corrupt auditor,
so we should give him all the help we can and hope the ASA motherboard
dies ASAP before something bad happens.

Given the two choices, the second is best, since that's the charter of
the list.

Dude, your new girlfriend is making you more kinder and gentler all the
time. Better marry her before get she away :)

NW,
GMT