RE: ADSL modem

  • From: "Richard Pettigrew" <Richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:12:42 +0100

Just a basic check....

    Is your ADSL Router operating in NAT mode right now?

    If you are to make use of these additional IP Addresses you will need to
use your router in Non-NAT mode.

    The First Usuable IP address in the range is normally assigned to your
router, you can use any of the other IP Address you wish for you ISA Server's
External Network Card.

    Eg.        (ISP)----------1st public IP(ADSL Router in Non
NAT)unassigned----------2nd public IP(ISA Server)--------(LAN)

    When the ADSL router is configured in Non-NAT Mode the first public IP in
your range is normally given to the router.
    The DSL Side of the router is normally operating in whats known as "IP
Unnumbered to Ethernet 0"
    which basically means it shares the same ip address as the Etherenet Port.

    The Ethernet port is allocated the first usuable address in your range.

    You would connect this directly to your ISA Server or via a hub/switch. The
ISA Server external NIC then requires an ip address from your allocated range
in the same subnet.

    Hope this gives you a bit of an insight in to what you need to do to use
these extra addresses.