Re: AD in DMZ

  • From: Glenn Maks <gmaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:13:55 -0400

Great Point ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas W Shinder [mailto:tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 4:47 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] Re: AD in DMZ

http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi Brian,

You use RRAS packet filters and IPSec Policies to create a LAT-based DMZ.
But remember, its NOT a real DMZ if you put private assets into it. Its like
me putting my ex-mother in law in the Korean DMZ. Hmmm. well, that's not the
best analogy, but you know what I mean. A DMZ is design as an entirely
separate and distinct security zone that if compromise has no effect on your
protected assets. Extending the private network's security zone into the DMZ
entirely breaks the underpinnings of the DMZ concept. At that point all you
have is a "screened subnet", not a DMZ.

HTH,

Thomas W Shinder
 <http://www.isaserver.org/shinder> www.isaserver.org/shinder