RE: A question of routing and published servers.

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 01:17:27 -0400

Hello,

I have considered this solution and have even tried it. There are just a
couple of problems with it:

Routed VPNs from Microsoft work great for client to server connections
where the client is aware of its actual MTU size when it sets up a TCP
connection. However when used as gateways the client is unaware of the
restricted MTU through the tunnel. I know I know turn on MTU discovery
and all will work fine. Unfortunately MTU discovery requires ICMP to
work from end to end. Equally unfortunate are a large number of
ill-informed firewall managers around the world that think that all ICMP
is bad. Combine this with people who think that the don't defrayment bit
is an absolute necessity on all packets and you have a big problem
explaining to your users why they can't connect to their favorite
web-site. Now if Microsoft would allow for gateway to gateway VPN
traffic to ignore the don't defragment bit this wouldn't be a problem.
They don't and I understand their reasons, but it would really be nice
if the could just this once ignore the RFCs (at least I think it would).

The Hardware VPN does not do routing is does bridging, it also ignores
the don't deframent bit. Because it it doing bridging it provides the
corporate network right to my remote site with out the need of multiple
subnets and many other configuration issues.

As far as exchange goes, I am not running it on the firewall. I don't
run anything on my ISAServer. I have my exchange server published via
ISAServer.

Bill