RE: A Question? Or just an observation...

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:07:11 -0400

Well, we're in a different predicament that most, as most users are K-12
students.  Their excuses range from "I didn't know" to "I didn't do
that".  Their parents sign an AUP, but I doubt that hardly any of the
students have ever even seen it.  Last year, to attempt to remind them
of it, I printed out a double-sided sheet for every high school student
that contained their username/password, along with a copy of the AUP.  I
later found out that the office threw the entire stack away because it
wasn't sorted in homeroom order.

Watching the real-time monitor shows that there is an attempt to access
a blocked site about every 5-6 seconds.  If we attempted to prosecute
every attempt, we could turn that into a full-time job.  So, we watch
the logs for suspicious activity, and report the serious offenders only.

So no, they don't have much to lose by trying...

We normally don't hear much at all from the students about blocked
sites, they seem to accept that and amuse themselves trying to get
around the block.  That is, until the other day, when we blocked the web
journaling sites... Boy, did that raise an uproar...  So, I've spent
most of this morning creating a custom denied page reminding them that
they (or their parents) signed the AUP, along with a link to copies of
them.