RE: 838376 - Cannot connect to a published service from the external network when the published service is running dire ctly on the ISA Server 2004 computer

  • From: Troy Radtke <TRadtke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:31:57 -0500

Which is why you'll never see anyone in their right mind running SBS who
expects the same level of protection from a dedicated system.

I forwarded that e-mail from Tom to the guys at work, and the first thing
they did is say: Look at ISA! It's a piece of junk since you've gotta do a
work around just to make stuff even work on the box!  You never have that
problem with a PIX!

If you're boss won't look at the cost justification of buying a low end
desktop to run a service, all I have to say to any financial institution is
how much is the cost of an FDIC audit in terms of your labor?  Pulling 50%
of the IT staff into meetings with the FBI/FDIC/Secret Service (yes, the
secret service is involved in these types of audits) for 2 months along with
hiring a small army of people to produce all your audit trails for the past
7 years is by FAR more expensive than any server that I can think of....

What I was getting at in my first e-mail is that since you can't even
install services on a PIX, you'd need to purchase or use another server
anyways, which is why you should leave things off of an ISA box and just not
even open yourself up to an service exploit.....

Troy