15 minute dial out connection interval on UDP Port 68

  • From: "Alan Strevens" <alan.strevens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:22:24 -0600

Could you please help me to discover what might be causing a 15 minute
broadcast on port 68.  This occurs 24 hours a day and is not caused by
client PC's or other servers on the LAN.  I can only suppose that the DNS
or DHCP is refreshing but I can not be sure exactly.  This event has been
going on for months and our ISDN phone charges are astronomic!

The only way that I seem to able to stop this broadcast on subnet
255.255.255.255 is to create an ISA rule blocking all UDP port 67 and 68
traffic.  However, this is not the ideal solution since DNS updates do not
appear to work and I would really like to know why.

Thanks

Alan