[IrelandVIPNews] Re: Wording on notices

  • From: Rosaleen Dempsey <rdempsey79@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irelandvipnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:04:03 +0100 (BST)

Hi all

  The word "handicapped" comes from the phrase "cap in hand", to beg. It was of
its time but is now outdated. Plenty of words go out of usage. Personally, I
would like to see this one join them.

  I don't agree that talking about language and disability is petty for this
reason: Society uses language to put labels on people. We all do it to make
sense of the world. However, if a label is negative it allows for stereotyping.
The word "handicapped" was widely used in the medical profession and was used
to describe the person's disability. The medical model of disability puts the
problems of access etc solely in the court of the person with a disability.
This gives society no responsibility to change and become more disability
friendly.

  While I agree with you, Darragh, that there are other wider issues, I don't
think we should underestimete the power of words and language. It can inspire
hatred, fear and ignorance. It can dehumanise people and turn them into objects
of pity or hatred rather than human beings deserving of respect. Think of the
word "spastic" which was used for people with physical disabilities such as
cerebral palsy. It had to be changed because the word was widely being used as
an insult.

  Regards,
  Rosaleen

  Darragh.OHeiligh@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Itâ??s only distasteful because you as being someone with a disability expect
that the use of the word will have negative implications on the perception of
others toward people who are blind. You ask if I would have a problem with
being called Handicapped. Well, it would solely depend on the context in which
the word was used.  I don't find the word to be derogatory because in the
context of a *sensory* disability it means something completely different than
when used to describe someone with a mental disability.

I fear you are still not understanding the point I have repeatedly made.  There
are much more important issues to address than one insignificant word.  You
said in your first email that you were afraid of the difference in perception
this word would make.  I have debated that the majority of people in society
will not pay much attention to the use of the word handicapped and in fact
drawing attention to its use is counter productive and may be viewed by some as
a petty and wasteful quibble.

If you take a quick look on Google you'll find that the term sensory handicap
is used repeatedly. I am unqualified to say if it's legally inaccurate but
again, who cares!

I'll finish by echoing Sabrina's earlier sentiments: Life is too short! Have
fun!

Darragh � Héiligh - Technical lead
Stream EMEA
Direct Dial:  +353 14400793
Ext:               2293
Stream Practice 8 - "Be responsible for enhancing job knowledge. Pursue
professional growth and foster a learning environment".

        "Kealy, Nicky" <Nicky.Kealy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: irelandvipnews-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   10/07/2006 02:21 PM
Please respond to
irelandvipnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  <irelandvipnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>       cc
        Subject
  [IrelandVIPNews] Re: Wording on notices

Darragh, have you a physical disability?  A visual impairment is considered a
sensory disability but thank you for that explanation.  My question to you as I
have been asking and you or Edd or Sabrina won't answer it is are you
handicapped and would you allow someone to call you handicapped?  It is a
distasteful word that in this day and age there is no excuse for using so get
rid of it.  Have we no response from NCBI? I am  waiting to get the opportunity
to talk to the guy that runs the shops to see what he will say to me.  If
anyone else would like to talk to him that feels the same as me and I am glad
that I have received private responses from people to indicate that people do
agree with me you should just take the time to call the office and ask for Mr.
Martin Kenny.